Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chai Breakfast Cookies


The idea for these came from this post for granola balls by Daily Bites. When I first made the granola balls (I used all raisins at the time because it was all I had), I was talking with a friend about them, and tried to describe them to her. She commented, "So they're like breakfast cookies?" Well, I don't think I've ever had a breakfast cookie, and don't really know what they are, but that sounds great...enter this recipe :)



Here, I introduce cardamom...I love cardamom. It's one of those spices that--every time I pull it out of my spice cabinet--I find the nearest person, and says, "Smell that...isn't that sooo good??" Or I just relish in it by myself :) Cardamom has a very distinct smell, and is used a lot in Indian recipes. Maybe that's why I like it. I think it's one of those spices that you either like or you don't like. But you can make that decision for yourself after you try these. I also added plenty of other spices, too, which add even more flavors to tickle your tastebuds. And chai anything is good, if you ask me! :)

In food processor, weigh out:

2.5 oz (1/2 c.) sunflower seeds
1.5 oz (1/2 c.) pumpkin seeds
- the ones I used actually were salted, so I didn't add any; if you use raw, add 1/2 t. salt
2 oz (1/2 c.) almond flour
1 oz. (2 T.) almond butter
4.5 oz (1c.) chopped walnuts
1 T. cinnamon
1t. cardamom
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. allspice or cloves
1/2 t. ginger

I put these through food processor until the pumpkins seeds are well chopped.

Pour ingredients into a medium bowl.

Add:

3.5 oz (about 1/3 c.) honey
2 oz. (about 1/2 c.) dried fruit (or 1/4 and 1/4c; I used pomegranate juice-infused Craisins for this one, also used raisins before)
2 t. vanilla
1 oz. (2 T.) water
Mix well.

Wet your hands with water, and then using wet hands, form into balls.

Smoosh down balls a little to make thick little "cookies."

Bake on an alumininum foil-lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. If you want to keep them in balls, bake for 18-20 min. Cool completely before serving.

Makes about 15 cookies or balls. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment