Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"Southwestern" Crepes, and the Gluten Free Ratio Rally

It is once again time for this month's Gluten Free Ratio Rally! The challenge: Crepes. I've already been playing around some with crepes, here, in preparation for this challenge. At first I had no idea what I wanted to try, but I'm very proud of the final result.


The initial idea for my crepes came from this post by Lexie's Kitchen...I wanted to try my hand at a recipe for savory crepes, instead of sweet. Also, when I saw those, I immediately thought of my mom's Southwest Sausage crepes that my family loves. These crepes are a play off of that recipe, although I used ground turkey instead of pork sausage, and created an open "cup crepe instead of wrapping the filling.

The ratio for crepes = 2:2:1
2 parts egg: 2 parts liquid: 1 part flour


For this shot, I made a crepe out of almond flour; this should probably be saved for sweeter crepe fillings, but I wanted to see how it would turn out grain-free (and coconut milk was all I had at the time). If you want to substitute your own GF flour blend, you are more than welcome.

Crepes:
8 oz. egg (about 4 eggs)
8 oz. coconut milk (add a tad bit more if they turn out too thick)
4 oz. almond flour
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. vanilla

Follow the instructions for my basic crepes in order to make the crepes. 

Once the crepes are made, line a greased muffin tin with the crepes (or 2 muffin tins--a full recipe makes about 16 crepes), folding the sides over as needed. Notice mine aren't all that neat, so no need to worry about that!

Filling:
16 oz. (1 lb.) ground turkey meat, browned in skillet
4 oz. (1 c.) shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
8 oz. cream cheese
8 oz. sour cream
about 5 chopped green onions, plus another for garnish
4 oz. (1 can) chopped green chilies

After you have browned the meat, combine all the rest of the filling ingredients into the skillet and mix well. I like to stir over low heat, so that the cream cheese melts better, and the whole mixture is able to combine thoroughly.
Dollop a large spoonful of the cream cheese mixture into the crepe "cups." Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, or till warmed through, and the crepe edges are lightly browned. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Because of the filling, the crepes do not become crisp, so these are best eaten with a fork. Enjoy as an appetizer, or as a part of your next brunch gathering!
Serve warm...Makes about 16 crepes.

Here are the rest of our intrepid bunch of bloggers for March:
Adina ~ Gluten Free Travelette ~ Breakfast Crepes Three Ways
Caitlin ~ {Gluten-Free} Nom Nom Nom ~ Buckwheat Crepes
Caleigh ~ Gluten Free[k] ~ Banana Cinnamon Crepes
Claire ~ My Gluten Free Home ~ Victory Crepe Cake
Ginger  ~ Fresh Ginger ~ Sweet 'n Savory
gretchen ~ kumquat ~ nutella crepe cake
Karen ~ Cooking Gluten-Free! ~ Gluten Free Crepes Savory or Sweet
Mary Fran ~ FrannyCakes ~ Gluten-free Peanut Butter Crepe Cake
Mary Fran ~ FrannyCakes ~ Gluten-Free Vanilla Bean Crêpes Sucrées
Morri  ~  Meals with Morri ~ Russian Blini for Two
Pete and Kelli ~ No Gluten, No Problem ~ Key Lime Crepes
Shauna ~ gluten-free girl ~ Gluten Free Buckwheat Crepes
T.R. ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ Brownie Crepes with Strawberry Wine sauce
T.R. ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ Basil Tomato and Feta Crepes
T.R. ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ Fresh Fruit Crepe
Tara ~ A Baking Life ~ Breakfast Crepes with Eggs and Kale
Jonathan ~ The Canary Files ~ Vegan Crepes for Filipino Spring Rolls
Rachel ~ The Crispy Cook ~ Raspberries and Cream Crepes
~Mrs. R ~ Honey From Flinty Rocks ~ Crepes - Spinach & Dessert

4 comments:

  1. What a cool way to use crepes! Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Will def. be trying - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I like how you turned crepes into crepe cups to hold the filling. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little crepe cups! What a great idea for a brunch party.

    ReplyDelete