Saturday, June 2, 2012

My own tips for traveling GF

I've been out of the loop when it comes to blogging, because my family and I have been on our "summer vacation" this past week. This was our first trip to Cancun :)
(More travel posts to come...)

A small glimpse at how my family travels...

My sister with her Lord of the Rings book...
And of course my mom has to have her Starbucks :)

There are several posts out there that highlight how to travel when you're eating gluten-free. Here are a couple of the ones I've used the most:

Gluten Free in Airports - By Gluten Free Girl
Gluten Free Travel Tips - By Gluten Free Diva

Now let me give you my 2 cents about this topic.
KIND bars are a lifesaver.
And I'm not just saying that. Whether it's waiting in the airport, or riding on a bus for several hours (especially early in the morning, before I've had a chance to get breakfast), sometimes the need for food just hits me. For road trips, I usually make and pack my own snacks, such as these granola balls, breakfast cookies, or vanilla fig bars. But for airline travel, KIND bars work great, especially with international travel, because you are allowed to carry these through Customs, with a few stashed in your carry-on for spontaneous use.

KIND bars are made with whole nuts and fruit, and are gluten free. (Unfortunately, they are not grain free, as they contain gluten-free puffed rice, and sometimes other grains as well). Many of the flavors are also refined sugar-free (not the bars that contain chocolate or yogurt coating--but there are so many others to choose from!).
** I am promoting KIND bars simply because I like them so much, not because I'm being compensated in any way for this. I am not.**

I've read several blogs that encourage the use of these while traveling, but I've never really heeded the advice--until my most recent trip, when we were stuck waiting in the Dallas airport for basically 2 1/2 days. So I decided that the splurge would be worth it, and stocked up on several to get me through traveling, vacation time, as well as the trip back.  The downside is that these are expensive--$2.00 for each individual bar. And even while I'm seriously considering ordering them in bulk, the reduced price still makes me gasp. But I also think it's worth it, to know that I'm getting good protein and fiber (in the nuts and fruit) without extra sugar, and that my body will feel better.

On a more fun, random note, while waiting in the DFW airport, my younger sister and I discovered this very strange abstract piece of art in the international travel terminal.
The motion-sensor lights on the floor played soothing, nature sounds and music when you walked through it...
Needless to say, we made the moment fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment